What is Forest Bathing or Shinrin-Yoku?
Forest bathing, or what the Japanese would refer to as Shinrin Yoku, is a relaxing therapy that involves connecting ourselves to forest nature through our human sensations of sight, smell, touch, hearing, and taste. When we entirely immerse ourselves during the forest tour, it brings good energy into us.
To thoroughly enjoy this process, it is always advisable to take quiet strolls and go without phones, cameras, and any other gadgets that might serve as a distraction from the process.
This therapy started in Japan around the 1980s, and it served the purpose of helping them connect more with their environment. Today it has gained more popularity because it serves as a good escape from an urban technologically-inclined world.
As easy as Shinrin Yoku might seem, getting in touch with a specialist in this area guarantees you the full benefits of the whole process. Shinrin Yoku at Firebird provides a suitable forest to visit, counseling sessions, and the right tips to assist you throughout the process.
Benefits of Shinrin Yoku
Basking in the glory of breathing in the clean and fresh air, the sounds of birds chirping and rustling leaves, the fragrance of fallen leaves and flowers, and the beautiful view of tall trees do so many wonders to our mental and physical health. Japanese forest bathing is a refreshing and relaxing experience that makes us feel alive and sets everything in the correct order.
The following are some Shinrin Yoku benefits:
- Shinrin Yoku has been proven by research to lower heart rate and blood pressure. This therapy’s refreshing and relaxing nature causes less sympathetic nervous system stimulation, which is usually responsible for increased heart rate and blood pressure.
- Our mental state as individuals is a true reflection of whatever is going on in our minds. When we let go of worries and enjoy nature, it uplifts our minds and spirit and boosts our energy.
- The relaxing effect we get from the brief outdoor time we spend in the forest allows us to think more clearly and unwind. It also reduces stress and anxiety by lowering excess cortisol levels- a stress hormone.
- Studies have shown that exposure to nature helps improve our well-being and boosts our mood. It greatly helps with depression and other forms of low mood.
- Forest bathing strengthens our immune system. Research also shows that breathing in phytoncides produced by certain forest trees increases the production of natural killer cells which helps us fight against infections.
- Improves sleep quality as a result of more parasympathetic nervous system stimulation that is more involved with rest and calm.
- The therapy brings creative ideas to our minds
How Long Do the Effects of Forest Lathing Last?
The benefits of a forest bath usually last up to a month. It has been proven that thirty days after a nature bath, the immune system and natural killer cells remain activated to fight off bacteria and other microorganisms. Several kinds of research have been done to back this up with the conclusion that Shinrin Yoku can indeed serve as a prophylactic/ preventive form of therapy.
Even though the period for its effects might look short, most people who experience Shirin Yoku always return for more because of the rewarding benefits.
30 Min By Phone
For New Clients
By Video (Optional)
Lunch In The Forest
Full Reconnection With Nature
25 years experience
- Master’s Degree in Oriental Medicine from Pacific College of Oriental Medicine in New York
- Acupuncture Course with T.Koei Kuwahara in New York
- Tung’s Acupuncture Therapeutic System with Dr. Wei-Chieh Young
- BTB Professional School of Feng Shui in New York, three-year degree
- Face and Body Reading Course in New York with Master Dr.Edgar Sung
Shinrin-Yoku - Testimonials
Shinrin Yoku at Firebird Acupuncture
Shinrin-Yoku is an experience everyone should have, and it should be a regular one and not a once-in-a-year activity. At Firebird, we help you plan your trip and ensure you get the maximum forest bathing benefits.
- Finding a spot might be cumbersome, especially if you’re based in an urban environment, but we save all the stress by helping you locate an ideal spot.
- We also have guidelines along with therapeutic activities to engage in.
- We offer pre-counseling sessions on what to expect and how to interact with our senses to enjoy the process.
- Multiple sessions for an affordable price
- A variety of Chinese medicine services for health promotion, such as traditional acupuncture, moxibustion, pain management, cupping and more.
Contact us today!
Shinrin-Yoku - FAQ
There is a wide variety of nature therapies available:
- Half-day and day-long walks contact big trees. Natural organic lunch served in the house in the woods, with the guide who will be teaching SHINRIN-YOKU
- indoor essential oil therapy and Japanese Far infrared heat therapy.
- Meditation and Yoga in the forest. Forest aroma therapy,
- SHINRIN-YOKU natural dietary therapy, basics of natural living and eating.
- How to use five senses and be mindful living in the city.
- How to practice SHINRIN-YOKU in the city.
The patients do not need a medical doctor’s referral.
Appointment should be made before the initial Shinrin Yoku session.
Shinrin-Yoku - Treatment Directions